[twill] BeautifulSoup conflicts

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Tue Aug 8 17:12:22 PDT 2006

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Titus Brown wrote:
[...]
> -> this reason -- the setuptools multi-version support doesn't address the
> -> problem of multiple versions being used *in the same process*.  This isn't
> -> a problem with applications that depend on specific versions of libraries,
> -> but it is a problem with libraries that depend on other libraries.  I
> -> wonder if PJE might be sympathetic to this problem...
>
> I'm pretty sure that the import semantics in Python simply don't allow
> for this.

Nonsense :-)

Where there's a will, there's a way, and there are plenty of ways in
Python, I'm sure.  (Some of them quite ugly, no doubt, but I hear that
anything related to Python imports is currently a bit ugly if you look
closely enough.)  How about name mangling + an import function implemented
using module imp?

> Of course, if anyone can get around them, it's PJE ;)

Yes :-)

John