[twill] Twill and JavaScript

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Fri Apr 14 09:00:55 PDT 2006

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 06:04:49PM +1000, Stephen Thorne wrote:
-> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:01:38 -0400, "Do, Uy N" <uy_do at reyrey.com> wrote:
-> >Hi Stephen,
-> >Thanks for your response, though I'm not quite sure how to implement the
-> >Jason_submit function. I think Titus will handle it?
-> >Actually, I have a test scenario like this:
-> >Given on a page that has <a href="__doPostBack(...);">text that need
-> >postback event</a>.
-> >Can I use Jason_submit to perform the call to __doPostBack?
->
-> No, all I'm proposing is a way of submitting a form to an arbitary url.
->
-> You would be implementing the functionality done in __doPostBack() yourself, not running javascript code.
->
-> It's a sub-optimal solution, but this would enable me to sit down and write tests for much of the dynamic content I have, leaving the javascript as the only untested portion - I can quite easily sit down and do that manually.
->
-> I may implement some of this after easter.

Stephen,

thanks for articulating the strategy I hope to try out myself ;).

I think there are two different components to supporting AJAX: first,
supporting asynchronous calls, and second, supporting JSON parsing.
I'd like to try some code out on an actual site before submitting
twill to a built-in solution, however.  Any suggestions, comments,
or code that you and Uy Do contribute will be very helpful!

thanks,