[twill] No space before "/>" breaks form?

Hancock, David (DHANCOCK) DHANCOCK at arinc.com
Fri Apr 7 19:40:16 PDT 2006

I encountered a situation today where I had a form with some embedded
the form fields stopped showing up, giving "NO SUCH FORM FIELD" errors
on submit. Putting the space back in ("<br />") made them work again.

Here's the actual form section:

   <form method="post" name="loginform" action="ChkLogin">
   <h3>ARINC Direct Login</h3>
   <input name="username" id="username" type="text"
style="width:80%;"><br/>
   <input name="password" type="password" style="width:80%;"><br/>
   <input value="Login" name="login" class="button" type="submit">
   </form>
   <script
language="javascript">document.getElementById("username").focus();</scri
pt>

Using this form, the username and password fields don't show up in
showforms--only the submit button does. I have read that XHTML allows
the no-space-before form, but the compatibility appendix recommends the
space so as not to break nonconforming browsers.

Is twill "nonconforming" in this way? We'll go back and put the space in
just to be safe, but is there an option to tell twill to be more liberal
in what it accepts?

Thanks, and
Cheers!
--