[twill] Error with showforms again

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Tue Dec 13 13:38:41 PST 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 02:35:13PM -0700, William K. Volkman wrote:
-> Hi Peri,
-> On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 13:40, Peri Cumali wrote:
-> > On this page
-> > http://www.playfirst.com/cart.html
-> >
-> > I get the following error when I use showforms (with or with out tidy)
-> > ERROR:  start of INPUT before start of FORM
-> >
-> > Not sure ahy it's balking but would like to know.  Also even a python
-> > workaround would be nice so that I can submit a coupon code
->
-> I've not checked the site however I've seen this problem with
-> mechanize before.  The problem is that mechanize demands
-> well formed HTML including the nesting.  They probably have
-> form fields outside of a form tag, which the browsers tolerate
-> and just move forward.  Another variant of this problem is
-> the location of submit buttons and multiple start of form
-> tags.  https://www.bankone.com/ has two start form tags
-> and only one close form tag.  I've submitted problem reports
-> every 3 months for the last year and they still haven't
-> fixed it.  I finally used beautiful soup to replace the
-> form parsing in mechanize with something a little more
-> tolerant.   I'm not sure if titus would like a patch
-> to include that tolerance in twill or not.
->
-> HTH,
-> William.

please yes!