[TIP] Math question - related to testing, not python-specific

Dan Stromberg dstromberglists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 12:40:47 PST 2020

If a transient error fails with probability p for one invocation of a test,
how many times t do you have to run the test to have probability q of an
undetected, continued failure getting missed?

By a "transient error", I mean a test that fails p*100 percent of the time
with the same inputs - usually caused by a race condition.

I think I remember enough discrete math to formulate the question, but I
don't remember enough to answer it for myself :-S