[TIP] Testing executables/programs

Zbigniew Reszela reszelaz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 10:23:57 PST 2019

Hi,

I would like to write a generic test case in python (unittest, pytest, etc)
for testing executables/programs (this can be python/C++/Java or whatever
applications).

So, I would need to pass command line arguments for the progam execution,
and maybe sometimes need to terminate the applications under test
programmatically e.g. if these are GUI apps. Ideally this generic test case
should be easilly parametrizable to just pass a list of strings (program
name and arguments). The asserts could be on the exit codes or the stderr
stream.

The motivation behind this is to have a *cheap* way to smoke test a bunch
of our project.

I googled a little bit if there is already something existing but without
success. Have you heared about such a project?

Any comments on that would be appreciated.

--
Best regards,
Zibi