[TIP] Travis.ci => tox => py.test => exited with code -11

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Sun Jul 8 08:11:40 PDT 2018

On Sun, Jul 08, 2018 at 11:03:09AM -0400, Olemis Lang wrote:
> Hello Floris
> Thanks for continuing the thread.
>
> On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 5:17 AM, Floris Bruynooghe <flub at devork.be> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sat 07 Jul 2018 at 17:27 -0400, Olemis Lang wrote:
> > > The py.test build step fails [1]_ with exit error code -11 . Nonetheless
> > > this code is not listed in py.test exit codes list [2]_ .
> > >
> > > Does anybody know what could be happening with py.test during this build
> > ?
> > > What's py.test error code -11 about ?
> >
> > Negative return codes do not come from the process (where the python
> > interpreter running pytest is the process here), but they indicate the
> > unhandled signal with which the OS has terminated the process.  In this
> > case `man 7 signal` tells me signal no 11 is SIGSEGV aka segmentation
> > fault aka "Invalid memory reference".
> >

> I did not know of this . Shouldn't this be included in the py.test docs
> [1]_ . If people knew then issues would be fixed faster . Or maybe this is
> a temporary situation that should remain undocumented ?

I'm not against documenting it, but note that this isn't pytest
specific. Any application, when getting a signal, will exit with such an
exit code. (-11, or 128+11 = 139).

For example, try running this which spawns a subshell which then kills
itself with that signal:

  sh -c 'kill -SEGV $$'; echo $?

Florian

--