[TIP] Travis.ci => tox => py.test => exited with code -11

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 08:03:09 PDT 2018

Hello Floris
Thanks for continuing the thread.

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 5:17 AM, Floris Bruynooghe <flub at devork.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat 07 Jul 2018 at 17:27 -0400, Olemis Lang wrote:
> > The py.test build step fails [1]_ with exit error code -11 . Nonetheless
> > this code is not listed in py.test exit codes list [2]_ .
> >
> > Does anybody know what could be happening with py.test during this build
> ?
> > What's py.test error code -11 about ?
>
> Negative return codes do not come from the process (where the python
> interpreter running pytest is the process here), but they indicate the
> unhandled signal with which the OS has terminated the process.  In this
> case `man 7 signal` tells me signal no 11 is SIGSEGV aka segmentation
> fault aka "Invalid memory reference".

I did not know of this . Shouldn't this be included in the py.test docs
[1]_ . If people knew then issues would be fixed faster . Or maybe this is
a temporary situation that should remain undocumented ?

> So the most likely explanation is that one of your go or swig layers is
> allowing your python code to execute something that it shouldn't and the
> bug is in those layers somewhere rather then in python or pytest.

Well, for the record , the actual problem was that Travis build was
installing SWIG 2.x instead of 3.0.12 .

> The
> traditional first step to figure this out is to enable coredumps and
> then run the debugger on the coredump which will show you the stack
> frames leading up to the crash and hopefully point you in the right
> direction.
>

> [...]

... but still I'll explore how to do it since I'm not familiar with this .

.. [1] https://docs.pytest.org/en/3.6.3/usage.html#possible-exit-codes

--
Regards,

Olemis - @olemislc