[TIP] fixture ordering and dynamically adding fixtures to Testcases

arun kali raja arunsep886 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 09:08:36 PST 2018

Hi All,

I have two questions regarding fixtures..

1. I have a .py file where i have defined two Autouse fixtures..
fixtureMod_1 is module scoped and fixtureFunc_1 is function scoped.. Now in
conftest.py i have imported these two fixtures.. in my test_x.py i have a
another module scoped fixture say fixtureMod_2..The order of execution of
fixture seems to be fixtureMod_1,fixtureFunc_1 and then fixtureMod_2.. isnt
module level fixtures supposed to be executed before function level
fixtures?? isnt that how scopes are ordered.. i am able to solve the issues
by giving fixtureMod_2  as a dependency to fixtureFunc_1.. but still i am
trying to understand why pytest respects the scope ordering in this case..
does the order of sourcing the fixture override the scope based ordering??

2. I have one usecase where i want to dynamically create a fixture chain..
say i mark by testcase with useCaseA and that translates to an ordering of
fixture.. can i add a fixture to a testcase at run time.. at
pytest_generate_test phase or pytest_configure phase?? i found a method
called add_marker to add a marker at runt time.. since fixtures can also be
added via markers i was trying to explore if can use that method but it
doesnt accept any parameters.. any way i can achieve this??

--
அன்புடன்,
பா. அருண் காளி ராசா