[TIP] mocking a file in /proc

David Palao dpalao.python at gmail.com
Tue May 9 02:29:29 PDT 2017

Hello,
After playing around with systemfixtures, I don't find a way to make
it work for my purposes.
I'm inclined to think that chroot is the answer to my question (thank
you, Johan, for pointing it out from the beginning).

As I  explained in my first post, I need a way to provide a fake
filesystem to my functional tests. What I mean by functional tests is
testing from the point of view of the user. What I do for that is: I
call the executable from within my FTs, catch the output and compare
it with the expected output.
To call the executable I use subprocess.Popen. In principle it should
be possible to provide a fake fs to it but, isn't it, at the end of
the day, the same as creating a chroot jail?

Unless there is an easy way to do what I need using systemfixtures (or
fakefs), which I don't see, I think I will need to go to chroot (or
docker). Any recommended tool to create a basic chroot jail with
python in it that I can use to run my program and modify files in
/proc?

Thanks in advance.

Best