[TIP] [tox-dev] Re: logo drafts for tox! (comments welcome)

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Thu Jun 1 14:45:33 PDT 2017

I like 2 the best.
I like the ones after 22 much less than the ones where the letters are
separate, but they all look pretty nice.  I think there are times when you
want a logo with letters and a time when you don't so we should have at
least 2 forms.

About dyslexia concerns --

Dyslexia is a catch-all sort of phrase which often means no more
than 'the child cannot read', but we now know a lot more about what causes
dyslexia in the majority of cases than we used to.  See Stanislas Dehaene
Reading in the Brain.
https://www.amazon.com/Reading-Brain-New-Science-Read/dp/0143118056  -- a
pretty amazing read which I can recommend just for fun, even if you don't
have any particular interest in dyslexia.

At any rate, contrary to what used to be thought, most dyslexics don't
have problems telling the shapes of letters.  It's the part of the
brain where the shapes are converted into sounds -- which we now can
locate with MRI -- where the problem occurs, which goes a long way to
explaining why it is that dyslexia is a much greater problem for the
children of England and France than those of Germany or Italy.
Indeed you find children who aren't dyslexic in Italian or German, but who
suffer from dyslexia when trying to read English or French, which they
can speak, but not read.

If your language is characterised by both of these one-to-one mappings
'this sound is made by this letter/these letter combinations and only
by this letter/these letter combinations; and this letter/these letter
combinations make this sound, and only this sound' dyslexia will be a
much smaller problem for your culture than if your language only has
one of these mappings -- such as Swedish, where if you see a word, you
mostly know how to pronounce it, but if you hear one, ah, there are
often many different spellings which could be responsible for the
sounds you heard.  And things are worst for those languages where many
sounds can be represented multiple ways, and if a word is unfamiliar
to you, you _don't_ automatically know how to pronounce it, until you
ask somebody.

The bottom line is that you don't have to worry about icons being problems
for dyslexics.  If they are going to have problems it will be the shield
form that is more likely to cause it -- because nobody really expects you
to read icons.  But if the shield form causes them problems, they are
going to have the devil of a time reading the tox output in the first
place, at least if they read it in English.

So I wouldn't worry.

Laura