[TIP] TiP BoF 2017 / Portland

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Thu Apr 13 09:13:36 PDT 2017

On Apr 12, 2017, at 15:25, Harry Percival <harry.percival at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I'm probably jumping to conclusions here, but my fear is that it could come across as a bit cliquey and elitist.  Is everyone else supposed to just sit silently?  I'm sure there's a way of modelling "good" heckling that would let newcomers pick up on the vibe of what's ok and what's not ok without having to designate who is and is not allowed to speak.  perhaps we could have a couple of practice heckles from commentators only before opening up the free-for-all?

I gave a presentation at the testing BoF some years back in Atlanta.

One of the other attendees was a bit astonished, when I mentioned I was going to do that. The comment was something along the lines like of "you're going to face that locker room crowd?"

There was alcohol being passed around. I didn't know if it was open for grabs, just for the in-crowd, or for those who pre-paid.

It did feel "a bit cliquey and elitist."

On Apr 12, 2017, at 14:46, C. Titus Brown <ctbrown at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> The 2013 BoF was much less fun because of overt incidents like the above,
> along with what seemed to be a generally higher background level of
> jerks (larger audience, more drinking, less friendly, basically).

If some of the non-jerks were put off by the atmosphere so didn't come, and the jerks emboldened to talk more freely, then that's the sort of result I would expect.

Mind you, I think that was the last US PyCon I went to, so I don't know if that's how the group dynamics evolved.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com