[TIP] TiP BoF 2017 / Portland

James Cooke me at jamescooke.info
Wed Apr 12 09:55:11 PDT 2017

Hi Chris,

I didn't understand either, thanks for asking! - I think that this is
what is being referred to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birds_of_a_feather_(computing)

If someone could confirm that, that'd be cool :+1:

Thanks,

James

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017, at 05:48 PM, Chris Jerdonek wrote:

> Can someone explain what a "BoF" is? I hope the event announcement
> also explains so newcomers feel welcome.
>

> --Chris

> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 6:28 AM Harry Percival
> <harry.percival at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Glad to hear plans are in progress!  I'd certainly rather a TiP BoF
>> with a few rules than no BoF at all, and I'm sure it's possible to
>> still have fun.
>> With that said, I'd like to hear more about the "commentators" idea.
>> I'm probably jumping to conclusions here, but my fear is that it
>> could come across as a bit cliquey and elitist.  Is everyone else
>> supposed to just sit silently?  I'm sure there's a way of modelling
>> "good" heckling that would let newcomers pick up on the vibe of
>> what's ok and what's not ok without having to designate who is and is
>> not allowed to speak.  perhaps we could have a couple of practice
>> heckles from commentators only before opening up the free-for-all?
>>

>> perhaps simply explaining out loud, at the beginning, what went wrong
>> last time would be enough to keep people on track?  eg "remember,
>> even if you know someone very well and you know they won't mind you
>> calling them out for having a hamster as a father and a mother who
>> smelt of elderberries, other people in the room may not realise that
>> you know each other, and they might now think it's ok to insult
>> strangers' parental species / adoxaceal-BO. so, keep your heckles CoC-
>> compliant, and let's concentrate on the kinds of heckles that bring
>> us together as a community (eg "ruby sucks!" (which we all know isn't
>> true but it's something we say for group bonding purposes)).
>>

>> HP

>> On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 at 14:00 Doug Hellmann
>> <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>>> Excerpts from C. Titus Brown's message of 2017-04-12 05:46:49 -0700:
>>>  > On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 06:45:44AM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:

>>>  > > On 12/04/2017 00:27, holger krekel wrote:

>>>  > >> Hey Terry,

>>>  > >>

>>>  > >> nice to hear from you but whats going on with this emphasis on
>>>  > >> policing?
>>>  > >> Last time i attended - 4 years ago or so - it was quite some
>>>  > >> fun and quite
>>>  > >> informal ... did anything go badly wrong in subsequent TiP
>>>  > >> BOFs?
>>>  > >

>>>  > > Yeah, sounds like it'll be riotous fun.

>>>  > >

>>>  > > Maybe they'll be bringing some United staff to help out?

>>>  >

>>>  > Hi all,

>>>  >

>>>  > yes - there were two incidents, one of drug use and one of verbal
>>>  > harassment of
>>>  > a speaker, at the 2013 BoF.  (They may have been by the same
>>>  > person, not sure.)
>>>

>>>  They were.

>>>  >

>>>  > https://pycon.blogspot.com/2013/03/pycons-response-to-inapropriate.html
> [...]

James Cooke Backend software developer CV PDF:
http://jamescooke.info/docs/james_cooke_cv.pdf Website:
http://jamescooke.info/