[TIP] Initial ‘tox’ invocation fails: “AssertionError: Multiple .dist-info directories”

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Mar 23 07:51:53 PDT 2016

On Mar 23, 2016, at 07:13 PM, Ben Finney wrote:

>$ aptitude show $(dpkg --search $(which virtualenv) | cut -d':' -f 1) | grep '^Version:'
>Version: 1.11.6+ds-1

Hi Ben,

I suspect you've got some out-of-date packages.  There's been a fair bit of
activity around these tools lately, e.g. virtualenv in Debian unstable and
Ubuntu 16.04 is now 15.0.x+ds-1 (unstable is at .1, Ubuntu at .0 but should
catch up soon).

I've responded to Debian bug #819037, but everything works for me on fully
up-to-date (as of the time of this writing) Debian unstable and Ubuntu 16.04
machines.

Please dist-upgraded and try again.  We can continue discussions on the Debian
bug.  I don't think this is a newbie error, but if you have a repo I can
clone/branch and run tox on locally to reproduce, let me know.

Cheers,
-Barry