[TIP] Initial ‘tox’ invocation fails: “AssertionError: Multiple .dist-info directories”

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Wed Mar 23 03:44:45 PDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 07:13:49PM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> writes:
>
> > Are you sure it's a tox problem?
>
> I have no idea; ‘tox‛ is the only program complaining so far.

Fair enough, but it would be helpful to know if you've tried virtualenv
directly.

> > What happens if you try to create the python3.5 virtualenv directly,
> > outside tox?
>
> What specific command should I use to test that?

virtualenv -p python3.5 /tmp/py35

> > I seem to remember that virtualenv had to be updated to work with
> > Python 3.5, even if I don't remember seeing this particular error
> > before. What version of virtualenv do you have?
>
> $ aptitude show $(dpkg --search $(which virtualenv) | cut -d':' -f 1) | grep '^Version:'
> Version: 1.11.6+ds-1

virtualenv 1.11.6 was released on 2014-05-15.  Python 3.5.0 was released
on September 13th, 2015.

On the other hand, the virtualenv changelog[*] doesn't mention any Python
3.5 compatibility fixes (in fact it doesn't mention "3.5").

> > Can you try to upgrade virtualenv (perhaps with pip install --user
> > virtualenv, plus whatever -U/-I options required to convince pip to
> > get a new version without touching existing versions in
> > /usr/lib/python*) and see if that fixes your problem?
>
> I'm keen to diagnose the packages as they exist on the operating system,
> and not install from outside the package manager.

And yet you're here, and not on bugs.debian.org ;-)

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
If you haven’t noticed, I tend to make a lot of anormal word usements.
        -- Patrick Rothfuss