[TIP] Initial ‘tox’ invocation fails: “AssertionError: Multiple .dist-info directories”

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Mar 23 01:13:49 PDT 2016

Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> writes:

> Are you sure it's a tox problem?

I have no idea; ‘tox‛ is the only program complaining so far.

> What happens if you try to create the python3.5 virtualenv directly,
> outside tox?

What specific command should I use to test that?

> I seem to remember that virtualenv had to be updated to work with
> Python 3.5, even if I don't remember seeing this particular error
> before. What version of virtualenv do you have?

$ aptitude show $(dpkg --search $(which virtualenv) | cut -d':' -f 1) | grep '^Version:'
Version: 1.11.6+ds-1

> Can you try to upgrade virtualenv (perhaps with pip install --user
> virtualenv, plus whatever -U/-I options required to convince pip to
> get a new version without touching existing versions in
> /usr/lib/python*) and see if that fixes your problem?

I'm keen to diagnose the packages as they exist on the operating system,
and not install from outside the package manager.

--
 \     “I cannot conceive that anybody will require multiplications at |
  `\   the rate of 40,000 or even 4,000 per hour …” —F. H. Wales, 1936 |