[TIP] pytest and ipynb

Hans Fangohr fangohr.hans at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 01:49:35 PDT 2016

Pete,

> nbval provides a good way to test notebooks but my last questions still
> stand. Is TDD fundamentally a bad fit for Jupyter or is just that no-one
> has written a suitable implementation. If the latter then I might step
> up to the mark.

Ah, I had missed that you core question was how to (wether?) use TDD in Jupyter.

I am certainly very interested in that question. I don’t think it is clear that TDD is generally a bad fit for Jupyter - I’d rather think nobody has explored this yet (or at least I haven’t heard about it), both from a workflow and a tools perspective.

What is your anticipated model here? Write the tests in a normal python file, and develop in the notebook? Or have the tests in a different notebook? Or something else?

Best wishes,

Hans