[TIP] Pact style testing in Python?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jul 20 00:58:28 PDT 2016

Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> writes:

> Any recommendations for implementing Pact style "consumer driven
> contract testing" in Python? Preferably with pytest?
>
> about pact: https://github.com/pact-foundation/pact-specification

That document (thank you for linking to it!) does not much enlighten me
beyond your synopsis above.

The pages give no help to someone who does not already know what
specifically is meant by “consumer drive contract testing”. I can guess,
but the document doesn't help me know whether my guesses are right. I
don't know what such testing would look like, or what such a library
would look like, or what is lacking in the existing libraries.

Is there a document somewhere that describes *what is* “consumer driven
contract testing” in the sense meant by those documents?

> Maybe there's other names for this too, just like API contracts?

Maybe you're looking for Cucumber implementations (such as Behave and
Aloe)? But you already know of those, so I doubt it.

--
 \         “Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “I think so, |
  `\    Brain, but if we get Sam Spade, we'll never have any puppies.” |