[TIP] Coverage.py 4.1b2: re-written branch measurement

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Fri Jan 29 03:55:58 PST 2016

On 1/28/16 7:02 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com> writes:
>
>> On 1/28/16 2:24 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>> I'll try to grab these numbers, but another thing I thought of: would the
>>> rewrite be differently affected by the ^L's in the source?
>> That shouldn't be affected..
>>
>> For the rest of the list: Barry seems to be the last developer to use
>> formfeeds in code, and I have twice had to fix problems because of it!
>> :)
> He's not alone. It is perfectly valid whitespace in a lot of source
> code, including Python. It makes for useful semantic divisions within a
> file.

Perhaps then, Barry is the only person 1) using formfeeds, and 2) using
coverage.py, and 3) paying enough attention to notice where it was
broken, and 4) conscientious enough to report the problems. :)

Certainly there haven't been enough people bothered by the long-standing
bug about formfeeds in the tokenize module when using Unicode source
strings (http://bugs.python.org/issue19035) to fix it.

--Ned.