[TIP] tox "empty" factors for generated environment?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Jan 27 10:53:45 PST 2016

tox's generated environments are very cool.  A question that sometimes comes
up is whether it's possible to include "empty" factors.  Hopefully this makes
sense.

Let's say I want to define the following environments: py27 and py35 both for
the defaults and a coverage version.  I could do something like:

[testenv:py27]
[testenv:py35]
[testenv:py27-coverage]
[testenv:py35-coverage]

I'd like to be able to use generated environments, e.g.

envlist = {py27,py35}{,-coverage}

but I don't think that's possible.

In that form it might not make sense because you'd have to define "" and
"-coverage" lines before the colon.

My current solution is to do something like:

envlist = {py27,py35}-{nocov,cov}

and then use the normal generated environments syntax.  But I don't like
having to say something like `tox -e py35-nocov` when I want to run just that
environment.

Is there any way in which empty/default factors could be defined?

Cheers,
-Barry