[TIP] impossible coverage results - django, django-nose, nose-cov, coverage

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Jan 18 11:28:41 PST 2016

Hi Ned,

After some changes to unwind some knotty import loops in a big Django
project, we're now seeing coverage report seemingly impossible results:
looking at one module, I see coverage has dropped from 80+% to 27%, with
the lines-no-longer-covered being those that would have had to execute
during import time.

Have you ever seen behaviour like this? If so, what should we look out for?

Sadly, the stack is not a simple one:

Django's test runner with the latest version of the django-nose plugin,
version 1.6 of the nose-cov plugin, 1.15.0 of cov-core and 4.0.3 of
coverage itself.

Any help gratefully received!

Chris