[TIP] Question about nosetests coverage output

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 08:17:13 PST 2016

I've been using nosetests --with-coverage with setuptools projects
recently, and have noticed something a little odd.

In one repository, I've a project with several Python packages in
separate directories, each with their own setup.py.  The HTML coverage
reports for these list the covered modules with their dotted names;
the __init__ files are listed with their __name__, as expected.

In another repository with a single Python package hierarchy, running
nosetests --with-coverage produces and HTML report file names with the
.py extension stripped off, but using slashes and explicit __init__.

I'm using Python 2.7, coverage 3.7.1, and nose 1.3.1, all from stock
packages provided for Ubuntu 14.04.3.

Any ideas why these's a difference in these reports?  It's not really
significant, but it's a little disturbing just because I don't
understand.

  -Fred

"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein