[TIP] tox running as python3 instead of env

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.kiwi.nz
Sun Feb 21 13:51:22 PST 2016

Hello,

I'm struggling to debug an issue.

I have a project with a tox.ini of http://pastebin.com/djvdMnb2
(it's duplicity, if you need more context
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~duplicity-team/duplicity/0.7-series/files )

When I try to run "tox" in the folder, I get an error:

==
$ tox
GLOB sdist-make: /home/aaron/Programming/duplicity/test4/setup.py
ERROR: invocation failed (exit code 1), logfile:
/home/aaron/Programming/duplicity/test4/.tox/log/tox-0.log
ERROR: actionid: tox
msg: packaging
cmdargs: ['/usr/bin/python3m',
local('/home/aaron/Programming/duplicity/test4/setup.py'), 'sdist',
'--formats=zip', '--dist-dir',
local('/home/aaron/Programming/duplicity/test4/.tox/dist')]
env: None

Sorry, duplicity requires version 2.6 or 2.7 of python.

ERROR: FAIL could not package project - v =
InvocationError('/usr/bin/python3m
/home/aaron/Programming/duplicity/test4/setup.py sdist --formats=zip
--dist-dir /home/aaron/Programming/duplicity/test4/.tox/dist (see
/home/aaron/Programming/duplicity/test4/.tox/log/tox-0.log)', 1)

==

The python version check is part of duplicity, but it shouldn't be
running python3 - the envs set up in the tox.ini file should be using
python version 2.6 or 2.7. It also fails if I specifically type in "tox
-e 2.6", still saying "env: None" in the error output (see above).

$ tox --version
2.3.1 imported from /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/tox/__init__.py

$ python --version
Python 2.7.10

The fact that it has Python 3 in the InvocationError suggests to me that
the environments aren't being set up properly, but I can't figure out
why. Things were working earlier, before I uninstalled and reinstalled
tox to upgrade it to the latest version -- but now taking the version
back down to what I was on (1.7.2) doesn't make any difference. Looking
back at earlier output, when I used to type tox --version, it used to say
$ tox --version
1.7.2 imported from
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/tox-1.7.2-py2.7.egg/tox/__init__.pyc

Whereas now, even when I downgrade the version, it says that it was
imported from the python3.4 folder. Not sure if that is relevant, though.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Kind regards,

Aaron