[TIP] plain text versus html mail

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Apr 22 00:37:47 PDT 2016

Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> writes:

> On 22/04/2016 03:04, Ben Finney wrote:
> > When posting to mailing lists, please be sure to have a plain text
> > body with the full information. Not everyone wants to enable HTML in
> > email just to read a software announcement :-)
>
> I used to have this view, but I'm afraid the world has moved on.

Not in my experience. Almost every email message has a plain text body;
email messages that lack a plain text body are a vanishing minority.

> I think plain text messages are more likely to be treated as spam than
> HTML now, and I appreciate the ability to format mails, even if
> Thunderbird does then butcher that formatting during delivery.

That's a response to something different: “no HTML body”. That is not
what I'm asking for.

Instead, I'm saying that every email message to a mailing list should
have a plain text body with all the useful information.

If you want to *also* have an HTML body, that's fine.

--
 \        “When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I |
  `\      had any firearms with me. I said, ‘Well, what do you need?’” |