[TIP] Dropping Python 3.2 support for various projects

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Fri Oct 23 01:32:06 PDT 2015

In a message of Thu, 22 Oct 2015 23:22:36 +0200, Laura Creighton writes:
>In a message of Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:11:23 +1300, Robert Collins writes:
>>Hi, so pip 8 is going to drop support for Python 3.2; setuptools 19
>>will drop support for it too.
>>
>>This implies either pinning pip and setuptools in CI, or dropping
>>support for 3.2 in things where CI depends on those tools.
>>
>>I'm sending this email to poll for folk that *need* support for 3.2,
>>to see how widespread the impact of dropping support would be.
>>(Obviously folk can pin versions of the libraries that drop 3.2
>>support too - it just propogates)..
>>
>>If there isn't a hue and cry about this then I think it will make
>>sense to drop support for Python 3.2 in mock, testtools, fixtures,
>>testrepository, testscenarios, testresources, unittest2, traceback2
>>and linecache2 - generally everything :)
>>
>>-Rob
>
>PyPy only supports 3.2 right now.  The 3.3 release is almost ready,
>first rc went out today.  It may make sense to hold off on this until
>PyPy has made it's next release.
>
>Laura

Turns out I was mistaken.  3.3 is far from done.  There seems to be
too little overlap between 'people who use PyPy' and 'people who use
Python 3' to generate enough volunteers for getting later 3.x
support into PyPy.  And there isn't enough money in the pot to
hire somebody to do this.  Of course, the more your 3.x lags, the
more difficult it is for 3.x users to use PyPy, so we don't expect
a hoard of new 3.x users to decend on the place any time soon.

Would it be possible to get a pinned version for PyPy only so that
people who are testing against PyPy can continue to do so?

Laura