[TIP] Thoughts on Fuzz Testing

Randy Syring randy at thesyrings.us
Tue Oct 20 15:03:51 PDT 2015

I recently had a chat with my team about fuzz testing.  The thesis as
proposed is:

> Fuzz tests are useful as tools for a developer to run manually which
> help identify corner cases in the code not covered by
> explicit-branch-based-unit-testing (feel free to help me with the term
> I want here).  They should not run by default in an automated testing
> suite (for performance & time considerations).  They should not be
> used as an excuse for lazy developers to not write explicit tests
> cases that sufficiently cover their code.

I'm in interested in feedback on the above.  Agree, disagree, and most
importantly, why.

Thanks.

*Randy Syring*
Husband | Father | Redeemed Sinner

/"For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world
and forfeit his soul?" (Mark 8:36 ESV)/