[TIP] Tools for GUI testing (was: Re: testing-in-python Digest, Vol 105, Issue 1)

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Mon Oct 5 08:25:25 PDT 2015

* chandra shekhar Turha <chandrashekhar.turha at gmail.com> [2015-10-05 15:58:41 +0530]:
> Hi, I am trying to do some GUI automation of java application. Could you
> please suggest or advice, as how it can be done using python.

(Note: please change the subject to something more appropriate when
replying to a digest - and when starting a new thread, actually send a
new message instead of replying to an existing one)

If you're on Windows, there's also pywinauto:
http://pywinauto.github.io/

I found it really nice to use, but I don't know how well it works with
Java.

There's also a commerical project, Squish, which seems to have Java
support and is scriptable with Python (though I never used it myself):
http://www.froglogic.com/squish/gui-testing/

Laura has also mentioned AutoHotKey, it seems there are Python
bindings as well:
https://pyahk.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

Florian