[TIP] tox-2.0.1 with fixed wheel for py26 released

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Wed May 13 09:22:46 PDT 2015

On 2015-05-13, 14:47 GMT, Laura Creighton wrote:
> Maybe you should  wait until Red Hat announces 2.7 support for CentOS, their
> enterprise verison of linux?  They got 2.6 recently, so it may be a

These two sentences manage to contain most confusion per word
possible, so let me explain.

Red Hat's enterprise Linux distro is Red Hat Enterprise Linux
(RHEL), not CentOS (which is a free repackaging of RHEL
unsupported by Red Hat). There are currently three lines of RHEL
alive
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux#Version_history
... ignore the extended support, that's for just a very limited
group of users and basically doesn't mean much change at all):
RHEL 5 (originally released 2007), RHEL 6 (2011), and
RHEL 7 (2014). Each has one main default version of Python which
won't change for the whole run of the particular version:

    * RHEL 5 has python 2.4
    * RHEL 6 has python 2.6
    * RHEL 7 has python 2.7

There is also a possibility to buy additional packages with more
recent versions of python (among other software), but they will
never change what /usr/bin/python is. That will stay the same
for whole run of the version.

Most of the truly enterprise customers start taking a version of
RHEL seriously only after one or two minor versions, so by far
the most prevalent version of RHEL is now RHEL 6 (hopefully, it
finally took over RHEL 5). So if anybody chucks support for
python 2.6 effectively unsupports most enterprise users of RHEL
for some more years.

Best,

Matěj

Only two of my personalities are schizophrenic, but one of them
is paranoid and the other one is out to get him.