[TIP] How to build my automation test process in this way? Which tool chains are avaiable? which is the most easiest one?

yaoyansibase yaoyansibase at aliyun.com
Mon Mar 30 00:14:34 PDT 2015

How to build my automation test process in this way? Which tool chains are avaiable? which is the most easiest one?

Hi all,
I'm going to create an automation test process for my Maya2014 plugin development. Maya is a DCC software, and Maya2014 uses python2.7.
And here is my basic ideas about my automation test process:
- create a root directory which includes test cases, e.g.
    test_root\
      |___testcase_0001\
      |     |____test.ma
      |     |____reference.png
      |___testcase_0002\
            |____test_anim.ma (this is an animation file)
            |____reference.001.png
            |____reference.002.png
            |____reference.003.png

- visit each test case directory, render the *.ma file and output the rendered image to test_tmp\testcase_*\
  I'm afraid that I have to override the setup() and tearDown() functions on each testcase.
    test_tmp\
      |___testcase_0001\
      |     |____output.png
      |___testcase_0002\
            |____output.001.png
            |____output.002.png
            |____output.003.png

- compare the output image(s) with the reference image(s). And generate the difference image if they are different, it means this test case fails.
    test_diff\
      |___testcase_0001\
      |     |____diff.png (if any)
      |___testcase_0002\
            |____diff.001.png (if any)
            |____diff.002.png (if any)
            |____diff.003.png (if any)
 For now, I tend to use imagemagick's command-line tool compare.exe for image comparison and generating the diff image. Here is the detail: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/compare.php

I'm looking for available tools to create my automation test process. There are so many unittest modules avaiable, e.g. unittest, unittest2, nose, ....
But I'm new to python unittest, I don't know how to choose these modules for my needs,
which are suitable for me? and which is the most easiest tool chain? which is most light-weight tool chain?

Any other suggestions are appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Cheers
yao