[TIP] Announcing Hypothesis, an advanced property based testing library

David MacIver david at drmaciver.com
Fri Mar 20 11:34:17 PDT 2015

Hi all,

It's actually been around for some time, so some of you are probably aware
of it, but as the 1.0 release is approaching this seems like it's probably
a good time to do an announcement about Hypothesis, which is a property
based testing library for Python I've been working on.

Property based testing is the style of testing advanced by Quickcheck (and
a myriad of descendent projects). You write a test parameterised by data
matching a spec, generate random data from that spec to try to make a test
fail, then if you find an example you minimize it to find a small
reproduction case.

Hypothesis both acts as a production quality version of quickcheck for
Python and also advances the state of the art somewhat. In particular it
has novel features for building generation strategies for new data-types,
saving examples between test runs and adaptively exploring the search space
to match user provided preconditions on data.

You can install it from pypi as "hypothesis", and the documentation is
available at http://hypothesis.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

Do let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

Regards,
David