[TIP] testmon - ideas to speed up execution of test suites

Tibor Arpas tibor.arpas at infinit.sk
Mon Mar 16 13:38:58 PDT 2015

The more I think about it and experiment around, the more I'm convinced the
trace based (coverage.py) approach is the best. On the couple of projects I
tested the computational overhead was ~20%. That is a small price to pay,
given that you get orders of magnitude speed up for incremental changes.

It's a pity the implementations are all over the place and even everybody
calls it some other name. The best terminology I bumped into was
"incremental" test-runnner.

There was a thread on twitter about this recently
> https://twitter.com/ncoghlan_dev/status/566373773830397952

Thanks! So apparently Ruby has no finished product like that and some
papers call the concept "Regression Test Selection"
The sentiment expressed in the article is exactly what led us to work on
this:

Running tests is the worst. Seriously. It takes forever, and by the time
they’re all done running, I forgot what I was doing. Some apps take 20 to
30 min to run all the tests, and I just can’t wait that long. What bothers
me even more than waiting so long, is that after I make a change to the
code, 99% of the tests aren’t even running the code that I changed! Why am
I spending time running code that is unrelated to the change I made?