[TIP] History of tox

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Fri Mar 6 14:07:11 PST 2015

On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 09:40 -0800, Ceasar Bautista wrote:
> This question is primarily directed at Holger, but I've been doing some
> research on Python testing tools and have been having trouble answering
> some simple questions:
>
> - Why is Tox called "tox"? Neither the docs nor the initial announcement
> include an explanation.

"Testing out of the box" FWIW :)

> - What was the motivation behind Tox? I'm guessing it had much to do with
> testing PyPy across multiple Python interpreters, but could be wrong. In
> Holger's talk at PyGrunn 2013, it sounded like another motivation was to
> unify how tests were run, though I'm not sure that can be the only reason
> since Tox is also an improvement over many ways of running tests since it
> takes care of dependencies nicely.

Indeed, basic motivation was to provide a canonical way to run tests for
a python project and to specify for which dependency configurations/python
interpreters tests are to pass.

If you have any follow up questions, let me know.

holger

about me:    http://holgerkrekel.net/about-me/
contracting: http://merlinux.eu