[TIP] Testing a binary distribution with Tox

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Mon Jun 22 02:16:31 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 11:02 +1200, Robert Collins wrote:
> On 21 June 2015 at 12:09, André Caron <andre.l.caron at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Rob,
> >
> > Thanks for replying!
> >
> > Maybe I' just still new to this thing, but isn't "usedevelop=False" the
> > default configuration?  I normally don't use the "usedevelop" nor the
> > "--develop" CLI option, so I guess I'm already doing this.
> >
> > Also, it looks like Tox uses "python setup.py sdist" to generate my package.
> > I would like for it to test -- in addition to "sdist" -- using "python
> > setup.py bdist_wheel" to make sure the binary distribution is good to go as
> > well.
>
> Yah, you could have an install_command that does that with a bit of
> fiddling I suspect.

yes, you can abuse the "install_command" or even the "commands" to create
wheel packages and install them.  However, I think it's better at this point
to have a little wrapper script that calls "python setup.py bdist_wheel",
finds the wheel artefact and calls "tox --installpkg ARTEFACT_PATH".

Or someone tackles extending tox.ini to provide a "sdistenv" section
which allows to configure the packaging, for the benefit of all who want
to incorporate wheel or other build specifics.

holger

about me:    http://holgerkrekel.net/about-me/
contracting: http://merlinux.eu