[TIP] tox: purpose of whitelist_externals

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Fri Jun 19 12:34:00 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 15:12 -0400, Randy Syring wrote:
> I recently noticed some warnings after using touch, mv, etc. in some
> of my tox scripts.  It lead me to this:
>
> https://testrun.org/tox/latest/config.html#confval-whitelist_externals=MULTI-LINE-LIST
>
> I'm tempted to use "whitelist_externals=*" but the docs say it is
> not recommended.
>
> I'm wondering what the purpose of having this warning turned on by
> default is.  And why is turning it off not recommended?
>
> Thanks.

Idea is to guard against accidental usage of tools found in the tox
invocation environment.  Typically test commands come from the tools and
packages installed into the virtualenv.  If they don't, you get a
warning unless you set whitelist_externals.  If you set it to "*"
then also test runners could come from the outside, making it harder
for other developers to run "tox" reliably.
HTH,
holger

about me:    http://holgerkrekel.net/about-me/
contracting: http://merlinux.eu