[TIP] RFC: tox-2.0 to restrict/isolate env variables in test runs

Roy Wright roy at wright.org
Tue Jun 9 09:14:49 PDT 2015

On Jun 9, 2015, at 10:00 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am late to the party, and I guess it is too late, but I am not convinced this is a good idea, at least not as a default (should be opt-in, not opt-out).
>
> This breaks a lot of basic features, in a way that is fairly complicated to debug. E.g. with tox 2.0, os.path.expanduser("~") is now broken on windows because e.g. USERNAME is not propagated. Realistically, way too many programs depend on various environment variables.

If you are behind a firewall, you may need to pass in your proxy variables so pip can connect to pypi.python.org, even if you are using an internal index. I.e., tox fails to create a virtualenv. Not good.

I'd prefer to be able to set options that affect all usages of a utility globally instead of needing to add to every project I want to test.

I can understand the need to totally control the test environment. It's just that there are system needs that must be met before test needs.

Thank you for a cool utility.

HTH

A free society is a single class society where everyone has the same rights.