[TIP] [tox rfc] Adding a plugin model for tox environments and dependencies

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 08:26:17 PDT 2015

On 13 April 2015 at 15:56,  <offline at offby1.net> wrote:
> However, if I can add support at the tox.ini level for selecting a different
> tox environment builder, dependency resolver, and executable finder, then I
> can plug in my own implementation of these that would allow me to use the
> tox description of what to build — the commands, environments sections,
> python versions, et al — but integrate the way we define our dependencies
> and interpreters.

One place this might be of value in a more general context would be if
it supported replacing the use of virtualenv to build environments
with "python -m venv" for Python 3.4 and later (and maybe even 3.3,
although bootstrapping pip would need to be included in that case).

It's hardly a big deal (there's nothing actually wrong with using
virtualenv for the cases it would affect) but it may be another
potential area where such a plugin system would be useful.

Paul