[TIP] Why does tox use "pip install --pre" by default?

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sat Sep 27 13:00:43 PDT 2014

On 9/27/14 2:24 PM, holger krekel wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 13:46 -0400, Ned Batchelder wrote:
>> I tried to release an alpha version of coverage.py 4.0 today, and
>> immediately got complaints about Travis builds failing.
>> It turns out that tox's default install_command is "pip install --pre
>> {opts} {packages}".
> Did you you release the alpha to pypi.python.org and then
> other packages using coverage via tox started failing?
Yes.  coveralls.io (unwisely) uses internals of coverage.py which have
changed in the major refactor that was part of 4.0.  So coveralls breaks
when it tries to report statistics.  Anyone using tox and coveralls.io
would have seen a failure.

> When i release beta/devs of my packages i typically release
> them to a public index other than pypi.python.org
> (e.g. https://devpi.net/hpk/dev/ ).
I don't have another index I can use, unless they are out there and I
don't know they exist.

>> Why the --pre ?  Do most people want to use beta
>> versions of dependencies in their tests?
> a) I (and i think many others) often use tox to test against
>     other packages development packages or release candidates.
The real question is, "what does a naive user of tox expect?"  You want
to test against development packages, so you will make sure that
happens.  But if someone hasn't put in the effort to learn and/or change
the defaults, what do they expect to happen?  I would have thought that
tox by default should use pip's defaults.  I see no reason why running
tests in a number of scenarios (which is tox's job) should mean that I
want to install software in an unusual way. Certainly it's good to be
able to test against development packages, and overriding the tox
defaults would be a way to do that.

But by default, I think tox should use pip's defaults.

> b) when we introduced "install_command" the newest version of pip
>     was just changing defaults to not install dev/rc/beta packages
>     so the "install whatever is there" was still what most people
>     expected.
>
> In any case, I wouldn't like to change defaults at this stage now
> unless there is a strong reason for it.  It would break my own setups
> and probably many others.
I certainly understand that mindset.  But I don't agree that it would
"break" a setup.  Your code would continue to test against all the same
packages, but it would use the latest released package rather than the
latest pre-release package.  If your code will only run against the
latest pre-release package, instead of the latest released package, then
you need a version specifier in your requirements.

People who preferred to always use pre-release packages would be able to
change their tox.ini to continue doing so.

Changing defaults to make them safer is a time-honored tradition. Pip
did it, as you point out, and we were all fine.

--Ned.