[TIP] Why does tox use "pip install --pre" by default?

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Sat Sep 27 11:24:36 PDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 13:46 -0400, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> I tried to release an alpha version of coverage.py 4.0 today, and
> immediately got complaints about Travis builds failing.
> It turns out that tox's default install_command is "pip install --pre
> {opts} {packages}".

Did you you release the alpha to pypi.python.org and then
other packages using coverage via tox started failing?

When i release beta/devs of my packages i typically release
them to a public index other than pypi.python.org
(e.g. https://devpi.net/hpk/dev/ ).

> Why the --pre ?  Do most people want to use beta
> versions of dependencies in their tests?

a) I (and i think many others) often use tox to test against
   other packages development packages or release candidates.

b) when we introduced "install_command" the newest version of pip
   was just changing defaults to not install dev/rc/beta packages
   so the "install whatever is there" was still what most people
   expected.

In any case, I wouldn't like to change defaults at this stage now
unless there is a strong reason for it.  It would break my own setups
and probably many others.

cheers,
holger