[TIP] 1.0.0 for unittest2?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Nov 17 12:56:49 PST 2014

On 18 November 2014 06:36, Michael Foord <michael at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:

> On 30/10/14 09:30, Robert Collins wrote:
>>
>> Anyone have specific criteria we should meet before bumping unittest2
>> to 1.0.0 (which I'd like to do to get it onto a semver path).
>

> For the record, I have no opinion on this. I vaguely wonder if we should
> adopt Python release numbers instead and track the "upstream" releases
> instead of ad-hoc releases.
>
> Possibly with a micro version number of our own if we need to fix bugs that
> are unittest2 specific?

I too had pondered on that.

Here's the broad situation:

 - my intent is to aggressively backport on changes to tip, not on
releases of cPython - that way we have a) some backpressure *against*
spurious API breaks in cPython and b) early feedback if we do
something daft :) and c) as little disincentive for fixing things in
the right place as possible.

 - we're going to have a problem with versions before cPython does
each major release. E.g. right now we'd be what? 3.5.0.4?

 -  our current version numbers are strictly lower than cPython's, so
we can adopt cPython's versions easily if we want, modulo the concern
above (and assuming we're happy with 4-element versions).

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist