[TIP] Disable keyboard shortcuts in html coverage reports?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Mar 4 18:03:08 PST 2014

On Mar 05, 2014, at 12:51 PM, Ben Finney wrote:

>I'll take this opportunity to thank Ned for being reasonable in working
>with distributors of his work, to get it operating well in the company
>of other packages on the OS.

Absolutely!  coverage is one of those "must have" packages.  Thanks too for
Ben for working on the Debian packaging of such an important package.

>Right, with the related duty to advocate better organisation of upstream
>code (including the third-party libraries on which upstream code
>depends) so that it behaves well in an operating system.
>
>So, please take my comments on where the responsibility lies as advocacy
>for a better situation :-)

+1

>> In this particular case, I'm on the fence. If it's possible to make
>> coverage work with the Debian/Ubuntu versions of the JavaScript
>> library, that would be preferred.
>
>Agreed.
>
>> If that's not feasible, I'd accept vendorized JS libraries in this
>> case, as long as the maintainer (perhaps in cooperation with the
>> coverage developers) promised to be diligent about tracking bugs and
>> especially security issues in the vendorized libraries.
>
>That's not acceptable for Debian, though. Any bundled third-party
>library code is violating Debian policy, and is thereby a bug to be
>fixed by packaging the third-party library code separately.
>
>There are a number of such packages in Debian, but nevertheless they all
>violate Debian's policy on breaking out bundled third-party code, and
>introducing more is a regression.

Agreed.  It's not pretty, but sometimes we have to accept short term bugs in
order to make progress[1].  I'm glad that you feel strongly against
vendorizing and are working so hard to find a mutually acceptable solution.

Cheers,
-Barry

[1] ObPEP 20 words of wisdom:

Special cases aren't special enough to break the rules.
Although practicality beats purity.