[TIP] Disable keyboard shortcuts in html coverage reports?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Mar 4 17:51:00 PST 2014

Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> writes:

> I'm not sure there is a perfect solution in this particular case. I
> think it's generally unreasonable for distros to impose more work on
> upstreams.

I'll take this opportunity to thank Ned for being reasonable in working
with distributors of his work, to get it operating well in the company
of other packages on the OS.

> Ultimately, it's the distro package maintainer's responsibility to
> make the package work correctly in the distro, by whatever reasonable
> means necessary.

Right, with the related duty to advocate better organisation of upstream
code (including the third-party libraries on which upstream code
depends) so that it behaves well in an operating system.

So, please take my comments on where the responsibility lies as advocacy
for a better situation :-)

> In this particular case, I'm on the fence. If it's possible to make
> coverage work with the Debian/Ubuntu versions of the JavaScript
> library, that would be preferred.

Agreed.

> If that's not feasible, I'd accept vendorized JS libraries in this
> case, as long as the maintainer (perhaps in cooperation with the
> coverage developers) promised to be diligent about tracking bugs and
> especially security issues in the vendorized libraries.

That's not acceptable for Debian, though. Any bundled third-party
library code is violating Debian policy, and is thereby a bug to be
fixed by packaging the third-party library code separately.

There are a number of such packages in Debian, but nevertheless they all
violate Debian's policy on breaking out bundled third-party code, and
introducing more is a regression.

--
 \      “Software patents provide one more means of controlling access |
  `\      to information. They are the tool of choice for the internet |