[TIP] Fwd: Advice on location of tests modules

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Sat Mar 1 15:20:56 PST 2014

> Ultimately, it's down to the core developers to side with you or not. I
> think it makes sense NOT to ship tests during runtime. I don't know why I
> would ever want to open my interpreter and knowing I could import
> package.tests. That doesn't makes sense. I am not sure if there is a way to
> tell setuptools don't make X directory a subpackage or not. Probably there
> is.

John,

it's useful for debugging numerical or scientific packages where I worry about
slightly different architectures or 3rd-party libraries causing problems.
It's nice to be able to tell non-sophisticated users to run the tests and
send the output back home.

But I do think that's the only use I've seen for installing the tests
in production environments.

cheers,
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu