[TIP] pdb, coverage.py, etc... what's the right tool?

Thomi Richards thomi.richards at canonical.com
Thu Jun 19 18:01:54 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Dan Wandschneider <
daniel.wandschneider at schrodinger.com> wrote:

> Probably pdb.  You can use pdb.set_trace() to start the debugger - it
> sounds like you want to put this at the beginning of the function you're
> debugging.  Please check the documentation for pdb
> <https://docs.python.org/2/library/pdb.html>, which includes some
> examples.  The "debugging in python"
> <http://pythonconquerstheuniverse.wordpress.com/2009/09/10/debugging-in-python/> article at
> pythonconquerstheuniverse is also nice.

I recently discovered 'pudb', which is 'pdb' with a nice curses interface.
I now make sure I have this installed everywhere I'm likely to want to
debug things - it's awesome!. For more information:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pudb

Cheers,

--
Thomi Richards