[TIP] A quick guide to testing (for the khmer project)

Harry Percival harry.percival at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 08:05:23 PDT 2014

(re-sending a previous post to list as the mailman rejected it.  my own
fault for having different reply-to: and from: addresses...)

*I discuss unit vs integrated vs functional tests at some length in my book
- it's online and cc licensed‎, feel free to link. See box at end of
chapter 19 for a bullet point summary:
‎http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1234000000754/ch19.html#_onwards
<http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1234000000754/ch19.html#_onwards>
And the "terminology" box in the conclusion/wrapup chapter:
‎http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1234000000754/ch22.html
<http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1234000000754/ch22.html> Hope
they're useful!  *

*HP *

On 26 July 2014 04:49, C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 02:11:18PM -0500, Terry Peppers wrote:
> > >   Do you have suggestions for a good, concise discussion of
> > > the difference between unit tests and functional tests?
> >
> > The answers by John and Harry are quite good. I feel like we could have
> an
> > endless TiP BoF debate on terminology (noted for Montreal next year,
> > people). That said, I still think Mr. Huggins hand drawn pyramid from a
> bar
> > napkin ... perhaps after discussion with you and Grig -- at least that
> was
> > how I remember the lore ... still rings true.
>
> That napkin would be worth something now that Jason is so famous!
>
> --titus
> --
> C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu

Harry J.W. Percival