[TIP] A quick guide to testing (for the khmer project)

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Thu Jul 24 04:04:06 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:56:12AM -0500, Terry Peppers wrote:
> The only thing I would add in the section about adding tests for new code
> is whether or not you give a darn about the type of test itself. Being
> ignorant to khmer - and really to much of what you do Dr. Brown - would it
> make a different to contributors to understand the differences between a
> unit test and say an integration test. Again YMMV with terminology and
> usage, but what atomic type of test should someone add if they've added
> something new? Unit only? What if that new code touches some other part of
> the system, should there be a unit and integration approach.
>
> I have no idea.
>
> It's almost like you say what I just said in your three steps, but I prefer
> a more explicit approach and definition to the problem.
>
> My $.02.

Hey Terry,

thanks for the comment -- rather than lay down further rules (it's hard
enough for people to sort through our documentation!) I'd like to link to
discussions.  Do you have suggestions for a good, concise discussion of
the difference between unit tests and functional tests?

thanks,
--titus