[TIP] Installation issue with coverage and setuptools

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Wed Jan 15 06:08:38 PST 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 02:32:35PM +0100, Christoph Buchner wrote:
> Thank you! It was not clear to me that setup.py test does not do all
> installation steps, I thought this was just a local (but full)
> installation of tests requirements.

Let me once again recommend tox, which automates

  - building a source distribution
  - installing it into a local virtualenv (so your system Python stays
    clean from your dependencies)
  - running the tests against that installation

In addition tox can run your tests for multiple Python versions (in
parallel, if you use the 'detox' runner).

'tox' is the best thing that has happened to Python testing in the 21st
century.

Marius Gedminas
--
At one job, for a short time my desktop HP (running HPUX) was being used as a
print server. I soon found out that having something heavy in front of the plug