[TIP] virtualenv 1.11 causes tox to fail while installing dependencies on Windows 7

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Tue Jan 14 00:03:01 PST 2014

I think I've got the same problem.

dependencies, doesn't give a reason.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 06:51:41AM +0000, holger krekel wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 23:04 +0000, Chris Withers wrote:
> > One thing to note: virtualenv 1.11 was released on 2014-01-02 and
> > appears to tie in nicely with when all of my problems started.
>
> The log seems to be incomplete and it is hard to read because of the
> line wrappings.  Please send me the contents of ``tox.ini`` and
> the full output log (from redirecting output) both as attachments.

Here's the console output of 'tox -e py27 -vv':
https://jenkins.gedmin.as/job/restview-on-windows/14/console

Here's the tox log directory:
https://jenkins.gedmin.as/job/restview-on-windows/ws/.tox/py27/log/
(it only has a log of a successful virtualenv creation, it doesn't say
why it failed to install mock)

I've a gut feeling that this is not tox's fault per se, but the unclear
error reporting is something that tox should improve.

BTW here's a curious fact: if I launch a command prompt manually and
run 'tox' in that directory, tox works! [*]  It fails only when I run it
from Jenkins. [+]

  [*] as in "runs tests", which fail, because Windows, but also tox
  emits some interesting complaints I don't quite understand --
    WARNING:test command found but not installed in testenv
    cmd: c:\python27\scripts\pip-script.py
    env: c:\buildslave\workspace\restview-on-windows\.tox\py27
    Maybe forgot to specify a dependency?

  [+] I think the difference might be that my ~/.bashrc adds
  c:/python27/scripts to $PATH, so when I run tox in Git Bash

> Also you might try a new candidate:
>
>     pip install -i https://devpi.net/hpk/dev/ "tox>=1.7.0.dev1"

"Could not find any downloads that satisfy" blah blah.  Probably pip 1.5
really really doesn't like installing stuff from not-PyPI, and I just
need to specify some magic option.

Marius Gedminas
--
"Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM!"
                                -- Bill Gates, 1981