[TIP] Declarative style acceptance tests (was: Using doctest for functional tests / user stories)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 13:50:02 PST 2014

On 6 Jan 2014, at 20:12, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Is doctest considered a bad idea for this type of high-level narrative
>> style of functional test (or spec)?
>
> Doctest is best used for testing examples that already occur in
> documentation, such as API references or tutorials.
>
> For constructing rigorous acceptance tests, Doctest is a poor choice.
>
>> Or is the whole idea of structuring the user stories as testable
>> documents considered bad practice? I'm finding it very difficult to
>> formulate good functional tests in the unittest style, but I don't
>> want to switch to doctest if it's going to cause me problems as my
>> development gets more complex.
>
> You're right, unit tests are not suited for writing acceptance tests.

Actually I've found unittest a perfectly good framework for writing acceptance tests. Several times.

> There are better options. It's best to have acceptance tests in as close
> a form to statements the customer can understand; this means declarative
> assertions in something close to natural English. These declarative
> assertions can then be parsed and tested by executable test code.

I'm sceptical that any real world customer anywhere, ever (almost), actually reads acceptance tests - let alone writes any.

I'm *very* sceptical that using a poorly specified, undocumented, language for writing tests, especially one that *looks* like English but is still a formal "programming language" with the strict syntax requirements that entails, is any better than just using Python.

You can make your own test framework, built on unittest, close to a "DSL" through abstracting common actions into well named methods and parameters. You can end up with a set of acceptance / functional tests that are very readable with almost one line per user action. Yet still be using "normal Python" and a normal test runner.

>> If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, or better alternatives I'd
>> be very grateful.
>
> One that I recommend is Behave <URL:http://pypi.python.org/pypi/behave>
> which reads acceptance tests written in a declarative, formalised, but
> plain-to-read English style; and then the programmer writes test
> functions which define what the terms in those declarations mean. Behave
> then tests the teclarations using your test code, and reports the
> result.

My personal opinion (and those of others I might add), is that such frameworks (cucumber, lettuce and friends) are abominations. I realise other people disagree however...

All the best,

Michael Foord