[TIP] Running C unit tests with pytest

John McNamara jmcnamara13 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 04:13:03 PST 2014

On 6 February 2014 09:30, Mateusz Łoskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:

> On 6 February 2014 01:51, John McNamara <jmcnamara13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The tutorial is here:
> >
> >     http://pytest_c_testrunner.readthedocs.org
>
> What a great utility!
> I'll try it as soon as I have a moment.
>
> By the way, shouldn't "Pytest & C' read 'Pytest & C/C++' and so on?

Hi Mateusz,

C++ tests could be supported in the same way. However C++ has a larger set
of established test frameworks and test runners such as GoogleTest and
Boost::Test. So I think it would be hard to make the case for using pytest
with any of those.

C testing is generally a little more adhoc with a lot more bespoke testing
code. Even then I'd admit that the case for using pytest is a little weak.

The tutorial stems more from an experiment to see if it could be done
rather than a pressing need.

But any feedback is welcome.

John