[TIP] tox and virtualenv --extra-search-dir

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Mon Dec 1 23:01:31 PST 2014

On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 10:40:31AM -0700, Brian Ruff wrote:
> I'm trying to work around an issue with pip/virtualenv and a proxy. I want
> to try to specify a patched pip wheel for virtualenv to use when tox is
> creating the venv, maybe by using the --extra-search-dir option.  So far I'm
> not having any success and I am looking for suggestions.

This is how virtualenv searches for the pip wheel:
https://github.com/pypa/virtualenv/blob/1.11.6/virtualenv.py#L913

This is how it determines where to search for the wheels:
https://github.com/pypa/virtualenv/blob/1.11.6/virtualenv.py#L526

It seems to me that all you need to do is put the patched pip wheel in the
current working directory (assuming tox doesn't chdir before it invokes
virtualenv).

Marius Gedminas
--
"If we were meant to fly, we wouldn't keep losing our luggage."